A perfect Poe by the RW trolls.

In which Mohan Guruswamy gets pranked!

READ THIS BEFORE COMMENTING ON THE PICTURE ABOVE

Wow! I am surprised. No, really. I saw some simpletons falling for this, but Mohan Guruswamy? I wrote long ago about fake news and Nigerian scams, but I never thought in my dreams that it would prank intelligent and normally sane people, especially those that I have tremendous respect for and look up to.

I saw some on LinkedIn too where most liberals were hammering away at this fictitious 'Student' for being selfish and demanding, without reading it or even bothering to look at the context. Interestingly, this meme seems to have been first made by someone called Brahmin Development Party (AMK - Andhanar Munnetra Kazhagam). I mean, the hint is in the name right there, isn't it?

Anyway, for those that are still confused, here is the breakdown of this meme:
  1. This is made for the Modi-bhakts by the Modi-bhakts
  2. It is an attempt at sarcasm, albeit sad and scraping the bottom of the barrel, but an attempt at sarcasm nevertheless.
  3. It intends to show how ungrateful Indian students in Ukraine are and how much the Modi government has done for them, but how much more irrational expectations they still carry.
  4. It is being passed around by bhakts, which is understandable.
  5. But it is also being passed around by self-righteous liberals, wondering why someone should be such an asshole (as the 'Student' in the meme) and that there is a line that has been crossed and somehow, they (the liberals who have supported the students' right to be saved and served by their own government) have crossed that line, and that they (the liberals) are so fair and just in their criticism that they will not flinch from calling out the 'Student' (which means all students in Ukraine, by extension) for her unreasonable demand.
As you can see, in this case, the liberals have been had. And while I only rolled my eyes and shrugged my shoulders when I saw other usually liberal folks pass snide remarks at the 'Student' without bothering to read it, think about it, and do some research (actually, none is required; one look at it and it is obvious), when I stumbled upon some other folks (including Mr.Guruswamy, but not him alone) who I considered far smarter than I and far more circumspect in their public utterances than I could hope to be, also fall for it, I thought I had to write this. Banana pancakes.

So, there. If you have reached this far, you've probably understood why I am sharing this (social media algos won't and they'll probably attach some sort of warning to it), and you'll know I'd want to know if you indeed did read this through, or you have failed for Poe's Law. So, there's a random phrase in this post that you could type out in the comments below to indicate you read this through and 'get' it. It'll be fun to observe how many miss this point so laboriously explained even now. Ciao!

Comments

Popular Posts