We Shall Overcome


I was singing this in Hindi when Baby bear asked me what it means. I explained but she could not get the gist of it. I think next week, we shall discuss civil rights, equality, and the fight for justice that many peoples of this world have had to fight and are still fighting. It is likely to be a tough conversation, but I think it will be worth having.

By the way, perhaps because I was in the NCC (where I heard, and sung, this for the first time in my life, and I remember being so impressed that I asked my teacher what it was about, only to receive a wishy-washy, unsatisfactory answer) or for whatever other social conditioning reasons, I find the Hindi version far better, especially when sung in a chorus by cadets from around India in an open ground! Perhaps, I need to listen to Pete Seegar and Joan Baez more often.

Comments

Popular Posts