More about Apu. Actually, his voice.

So, this came up on my newsfeed today.

For what it's worth, I was never offended by Apu or his stereotyping. But then, I didn't grow up as a second-gen American-Indian. So, frankly, I have no idea what damage an animated character in a show literally bursting with stereotypes would do, and I say this most respectfully as someone who has not been directly affected by the issue.

That said, an apology from the person who played that character is irrelevant, unconnected with whatever damage it caused, delayed in coming, and frankly looks like a lot of virtue signalling. The only cleansing it does is of the conscience of the actor (Hank Azaria, in this case) and the producers of the show. It placates only the most naive minds and soothes only those who use being offended as a crutch for their PR. This is one virtue signaller apologising to another in a nice little circle jerk. Even if I was a second-gen American-Indian, this would be a fruitless exercise.

And to max the cringe-factor, I present to you, "...Part of me feels I need to go round to every single Indian person in this country and personally apologise.” Barf!

Comments

Popular Posts