Movie Review: Pagglait

After all the raving I read, finally saw Pagglait. Left me unmoved. I had zero interest in the story arc of any character and was invested in absolutely no one and nothing. Much like the protagonist's lack of grief. I tried hard to evoke some emotion (I am VERY emotional when watching films...I laugh, cry, shout, clench my fist, curse, encourage the hero, abuse the villain...as if it were happening to me or someone I love). But nothing. I was sitting there waiting for it to finish. That was literally the only way I empathised with the protagonist in the film: a complete lack of reaction and disconnectedness with the goings-on without being able to explain why it hasn't touched me like other normal people.

Maybe something's wrong with me. Maybe the movie wasn't really that great. The former seems more likely, given how much people I love and respect have liked this movie. I had similar feelings for Thappad, and I didn't know whether to voice them at the risk of people I care about thinking I disagreed with the larger point being made by the film.

I am thankful to my stars that steered me clear of a career in show business. I'd have been a disaster. I now acknowledge that I know nothing of storytelling or filmmaking.

Comments

Popular Posts