Eid Mubarak and the other India.

I am an atheist.

I neither wish others on religious festivals nor expect to be wished myself on any. As a principle.

That being said, recently I noticed something quite odd about this nation and its people.

Today, when I went downstairs, my security guard wished me "Eid Mubarak."

Then, I came up and while browsing my social media, ran into at least two posts in which people were wishing each other Eid Mubarak.

What's so startling, you ask?

None of the people involved in the above exchanges are Muslims.

And every party knew that the other wasn't either.

Now, I know this is not how it seems when you look around.

I know you are used to seeing politicians only wishing their "Muslim brothers & sisters" and no one else.

I know you are used to seeing angry young men with tridents and saffron tikkas shouting Jai Sri Ram at a cattle trader cowering with fear.

I know you are used to hearing the police actually apologising about illegal beatings to a citizen, but only because he is Hindu.

I know you are used to seeing hate and venom on social media, whether used by the suave urban elite or the more rustic village farmer.

I know you are used to seeing newsroom anchors shouting down Muslims and secular panelists.

I know you are used to seeing even senior retired military and administrative officers being forced on the defensive when talking about even non-religious issues just because they are Muslims.

I know you are used to seeing Muslim maids and gardeners, plumbers and electricians, give you Hindu names just to get a job.

I know you are used to seeing great artists, sportspeople, businesspersons, and personalities that have brought glory to the country accused of treasonous behaviour at the slightest pretext just because they are Muslims.

I know you are used to reading in the news how someone could not buy or rent an apartment because they were Muslims. I know you are even used to hearing your own Secretary or Chairman talk that way.

I know you are used to seeing viral videos about Muslim vendors and hawkers being accused of purposely dirtying their wares.

I know you are used to seeing national leaders tweet derogatorily about Muslims. And get away with it.

I know you are used to...

Well, you know what I am talking about.

But that is only one India.

There are several Indias, as you well know.

So, there is this other India too.

A more tolerant, fun-loving, respectful, festival-celebrating, open-minded India that loves music, food, dance, dressing up, meeting people, and partying, even in the worst of times.

An India that thinks your Gods are your Gods, but your celebrations and festivals are everyone's.

An India that is just looking for an excuse to be joyous and share that joy.

An India that seeks good in everyone and everything and lives and lets live.

An India that is human.

An India that cares for what it was. Used to be. And is. But knows it can, and wants to, be better.

An India that sees what it can be. What it must be.

An India that is written about in our Constitution.

An India that is taught in our schools.

An India that is held up as an example. In our films. And our books. And our stories. And our art. And our songs.

An India that is a better India than the India we have.

An India we promised ourselves. Not very long ago. And shed precious blood for.

Unfortunately, that India is quiet.

Most times, it is shouted down.

It is made to feel guilty.

It is stood in the palisade in court where it is judged as the reason for our collective failure.

It is accused of everything that the other India is angry about.

So, it remains silent.

It speaks in whispers.

It covers its face. And its mouth.

And it remains in the background.

Hoping that its time will come.

A time when it will be all right to be nice to your neighbours.

A time when one's religion will just be something one's parents were at the time of birth, and not necessarily something so exclusive that one couldn't enjoy even the good parts of your neighbour's.

A time when bigotry and hate will not be something you indulged in, not just because it would be considered impolite and uncivilised, but also because you would think you could do better. That you could be better.

It is a small, kind, and calm India, compared to the bigger, scarier, angrier India we see around us.

It is not easy to spot. Even if it is all around us. In bits and pieces. Perhaps as a small, tiny part of even the most bigoted amongst us.

But exist it does. In the hearts. In the minds. In the corners. Waiting. Watching. Biding its time. To come out of the shadow one day. And to be able to shout and sing with joy, dance and twirl with abandon, eat what it wants, dress as it wishes, live as it likes. Without fear. Or hate.

And it is for that India, that I say today, to no one in particular. And to everyone in earshot.

Eid Mubarak.


Comments

Popular Posts